Who knew that two videos, uploaded by PA State Rep. Brian Sims, would showcase an elected official’s irrational behavior and actually instigate strong advocacy for the unborn in Philadelphia and overwhelming support for the innocent victims in his videos?
It all started when Rep. Sims filmed two different videos of himself harassing peaceful, prayerful pro-life witnesses outside a Planned Parenthood in Philadelphia. One video featured his approach and verbal harassment of a woman praying by herself, while the other video highlighted his verbal harassment of a mother and three teenage girls. Both incidents also showed Rep. Sims asking his followers to dox personal contact information of these pro-life witnesses outside the abortion center. In his video of the mother and three teenage girls, Rep. Sims said he would specifically give a $100 reward to the follower who could share the teenagers’ contact information with him.
Rep. Sims’ actions sparked outrage and intense conversation among nationally renowned pro-life organizations and activists, such as Abby Johnson, Lila Rose, Matt Walsh, and other leaders. As more people became aware of Rep. Sims’ videos, Matt Walsh proposed the idea of a pro-life rally outside the same Planned Parenthood where Rep. Sims harassed his victims. The event, led by Live Action, Pro-Life Union of Greater Philadelphia, and other pro-life organizations, was held on May 10th outside Planned Parenthood at 12th & Locust Streets.
The following speakers shared their personal testimonies, shocking statistics about abortion and clinics, reactions to Sims’ harassment, words of encouragement for people to continue witnessing outside abortion clinics, and the importance to advocate for the sanctity of all human life:
- Lila Rose—Founder and President, Live Action
- Abby Johnson—Founder, And Then There Were None; former Planned Parenthood clinic director; subject of the film Unplanned
- Matt Walsh—Writer, The Daily Wire; host, “The Matt Walsh Show”
- Dr. Monique Ruberu—OB/GYN; leader, 40 Days for Life and Sidewalk Servants Philadelphia; board member, Pro-Life Union of Greater Philadelphia
- Ashley Garecht—Mother of two teenage girls targeted by PA Rep. Brian Sims
- Richara Krajewski—Pastoral Associate, Discipleship and Youth Ministry, St. Raymond of Penafort Church; board member, Pro-Life Union of Greater Philadelphia
- Tina Whittington—Executive Vice President, Students for Life of America
- Former Congresswoman Marilyn Musgraves—Vice President of Government Affairs, Susan B. Anthony List
- Lauren Muzyka—Executive Director, Sidewalk Advocates for Life
- Toni McFadden—Founder, Relationships Matter
Virtually spontaneous, this rally reveals the flashpoint moment we are facing at this time, as well as the kinetic energy in the pro-life movement. This is only the beginning, not the end.
To watch videos of each speaker, visit our YouTube channel “Pro-Life Union of Greater Philadelphia.”
(Article from the Pro-Life Union’s June 2019 newsletter update.)