47TH ANNUAL MARCH FOR LIFE IN WASHINGTON D.C.
Hundreds of thousands of people from the U.S. and around the world will gather in Washington D.C. on Friday, January 24, 2020 for the 47th Annual March for Life.
This year’s theme is “Life Empowers: Pro-Life is Pro-Woman” to commemorate 2020 as the 100th anniversary of the 19th Constitutional Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. The passage of the 19th Amendment was led by female suffragists, some also considered pioneers of the feminist movement, who understood that abortion ends a life and harms women. The March for Life Education and Defense Fund further explained its selected theme: “Today, the pro-life movement is following in the footsteps of the suffragists as they advocate for equality of the unborn, believing that equal rights for women begin in the womb. Like the original feminists, the pro-life movement believes that women and society deserve better than abortion and that life is truly the empowering choice for women, babies and society.” Click here for more information on the 47th Annual March for Life’s website.
Show the Pro-Life Union’s DVD on Your March for Life Bus! Our 18-minute DVD includes: A promo for the Pennsylvania March for Life (happening on May 18); our two minute compilation video from the Pro-Life Rally Against Bullying in Philadelphia (happened in May 2019); brief promotional clips about the Pro-Life Union, Guiding Star Ministries, and other pro-life organizations; an invitation from Tom Stevens (Pro-Life Union president) to become involved, and other educational and inspiring clips. Contact our office at 215-885-8150 or email email@example.com to request your DVD now.
Buses Available at Parishes/Schools/Groups
Holy Martyrs Parish
- Meeting Time and Location: After the 6:30 a.m. Mass in the Holy Martyrs parking lot (120 Allison Road, Oreland, PA 19075).
- Bus Seat: $45 per person for parishioners; $55 per person for non-parishioners.
- Organizer Name and Contact Info: Bob Gillies (267-278-0511, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Other Details: Dinner and a Metro Pass from DC to Catholic University are included within the bus seat rate. Those who want to go to DC for the March can attend it; if you only want to take the trip to go to Mass at Catholic University, that is also an option. There won’t be enough time for a person to do both, though (Mass at Catholic University AND the March for Life).
Immaculate Conception BVM Church
- Meeting Time and Location: Immediately after 7:00am Mass at Immaculate Conception BVM Church (606 West Avenue, Jenkintown, PA 19046) (note: If you are parking at the church, please do not park in the children’s drop off area or in the faculty lot.)
- Bus Seat: $25 Adult and $15 Student (under 18 years old; must have a chaperone)
- Organizer Name and Contact Info: Pat Stanton (267-718-4851)
- Other Details: A SmarTrip® Card will be issued to each individual bus rider upon boarding the bus (Please note: THIS CARD MUST BE USED TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE WASHINGTON METRO). The bus will park at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception/Catholic U. of America. Those who are not marching can stay and pray at the Cathedral. Each marcher will be assigned a team captain. Tickets for the Metro will be given to you by your team captain. Marchers who wish to march independently must have their own cell phones and check in with their team captain at mutually agreeable time. No minors will be permitted to march alone. All Marchers must return to bus at specified time determined that day by bus driver and coordinator. No meals are provided; please bring adequate food and beverage to sustain you.
Martin Saints Classical High School (MSC)
- Meeting Time and Location: 7:00am in the parking lot of MSC (120 Allison Road, Oreland, PA 19075)
- Bus Seat: $35 per Adult; $25 per Student (from any school). Cost includes bus, Metro ticket, and dinner at a Golden Corral.
- Organizer Name and Contact Info: Adam Dickerson (610-310-5591, email@example.com)
- Other Details: Timeline: 6:30am – Mass at Holy Martyrs/MSC. 7:15am – Depart from MSC. 8:55-9:10am – Break at Maryland House. 11:40am – Bus arrives at The Catholic University of America (CUA). Visit to the National Basilica as time permits. 12:00pm – Metro to March for Life. 3:00pm – Return to CUA via Metro. 4:15pm – Depart from CUA. 5:30pm – Arrive at Golden Corral. 6:30pm – Leave Golden Corral by bus. 9:00pm – Return to MSC.
Maternity BVM Parish
- Meeting Location: 9220 Old Bustleton Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19115.
- Bus Seat: $30
- Organizer Name and Contact Info: Emily Welfield (267-982-9238, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nativity of Our Lord Church
- Meeting Time and Location: At 7:15 a.m. in the Church Parking Lot (605 West Street Road, Warminster, PA 18974)
- Bus Seat: $25 per person. Please call the parish office at 215-675-1925 to reserve a seat.
- Other Details: You’re invited to join us for the 6:30 a.m. Mass before boarding the bus. The group does not plan on attending the Mass at the Basilica. We will make a short stop on the way to D.C. and a longer stop for a quick dinner on the way home.
Philadelphia Chapter Knights of Columbus
- Meeting Locations and Times: The bus is leaving from Resurrection Parrish on Castor and Shelmire Avenues at 6:00 AM with a second stop at St. Francis Xavier Parish at 24th and Green Streets at 7:00 AM.
- Bus Seat: $35 per person
- Organizer Name and Contact Info: Nick Marcantonio (Chapter Secretary) at email@example.com to reserve your seat on the bus.
Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa
- Meeting Time and Location: 7:00 a.m. from Our Lady of Czestochowa Shrine (after 6:15 a.m. Mass in Our Lady of Czestochowa Chapel) (Address: 654 Ferry Road, Doylestown, PA 18901).
- Bus Seat: A suggested donation helps to cover the cost of the bus. Please make any checks payable to “Czestochowa Shrine” with a mark on the check that says “PROLIFE” on it. Check can be mailed to: Czestochowa Shrine, Attn: Helena – Pro-Life March 2020, PO Box 2049, Doylestown, PA 18901.
- Organizer Name and Contact Info: Contact the Shrine at 215-345-0600.
- Other Details: Click here to view and print out the form for bus seating. Please reserve your spot by January 15 to ensure a bus seat. It’s suggested that you also bring food and drink with you. The Rally will begin at 12:00 p.m., followed by the March. The group will depart from D.C. at 4:00 p.m.
St. Katharine Drexel Parish (partnered with St. Mary Magdalen Parish)
- Meeting Time and Location: 6:45 a.m. at St. Katharine Drexel Parish (1920 Providence Avenue, Chester, PA 19013)
- Bus Seat: $20 deposit to hold a seat (note: Free will collection will be taken on the bus or beforehand)
- Organizer Name and Contact Information: Yolanda Schweikert (St. Katharine’s parish secretary) at 610-872-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other Details: Please bring a lunch. You may bring a Dinner or purchase food at Union Station. Bus drop off and pick up will occur at Union Station Parking Garage. Mass will be held at 10:00 a.m. at the National Shrine, followed by the March for Life. Depart for home by 4:30 p.m. at the latest. There will be no planned rest stops on the drive to D.C. and back home. The Pro-Life Rosary will be prayed on the way to D.C., and possibly on the way back.
St. Peter Catholic Church
- Meeting Time and Location: Meet at 6:45am at St. Peter’s Church parking lot (2835 Manor Road, West Brandywine, PA 19320). Bus will depart at 7:00am.
- Bus Seat: Cost is free, but they are accepting free will donations.
- Organizer Name and Contact Information: Mary Cromwell (267-307-9101, email@example.com)
- Other Details: The group will be stopping at the National Shrine for Mass. Please pack lunch and dinner. The bus will return at approximately 9:00pm.
Will your parish, school, or group have a bus trip organized to attend the March for Life in our nation’s capital? Share logistical details with the Pro-Life Union so we can promote it and help to fill more of your bus seats!
Please provide the following information:
- Name of parish/school/group
- Meeting time and location
- Cost for acquiring a bus seat
- Organizer’s name and contact information (phone number and/or email address)
- Any other important details that individuals/families need to know beforehand (food, rest stops, signs, etc.)
Send your group’s March for Life bus information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the Pro-Life Union office at 215-885-8150.
5/18/2020 – PENNSYLVANIA MARCH FOR LIFE
Join fellow Pennsylvanians at the Pennsylvania March for Life on Monday, May 18 from 11:00am-1:00pm in Harrisburg at the State Capitol. Sponsored by the March for Life Education and Defense Fund, Pennsylvania Family Council, and Pennsylvania Catholic Conference. More information can be found online at PAMarchforLife.org. View and share their Facebook event page with others!
Recap of 2019 March for Life
The 46th Annual March for Life took place on Friday, January 18, 2019 in Washington D.C. Tom Stevens, president and CEO of the Pro-Life Union of Greater Philadelphia, wrote an opinion piece reflecting on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, which was published on Philly.com and in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Click here to read his op-ed “It’s time to give back rights to very young humans.”